Management can be viewed from different
perspectives (Child, 1969)
1. An economic resource performing a series
of technical functions associated with the
organising and administration of other resources
2. A system of authority through which policy-
is translated into the execution of tasks
3. An elite social group which acts as an economic
resource and maintains an associated system of authority.
Other theorists describe management as
“making organisations perform”. Smith et-al (1980)
describe management in terms of:
1. Individuals who are delegated authority to
2. Activities for achieving goals
3. A body of knowledge represented by theories
and frameworks about people and organisations.
What is management in your business? Need advice? Contact HR VECTRO now.